Friends of the Library
The Friends of Barrington Public Library is a nonprofit organization that supports the library through fundraising and membership. Founded in 1980, the Friends are a group of over 400 library lovers in Barrington and nearby communities.
The Friends raise funds through the continuous Everyday Book Sale located on the main floor of the library, as well as a fall and spring book sale. These raised funds, along with membership dues contribute to the library in the following ways:
- Programs for children, teens and adults, including the Summer Reading Program
- Museum Pass Program
- Books (large-print & audio), movies, and digital books (eBooks & eAudio)
- Rental Books
- Contribution of $25,000 to A New Chapter Upstairs Second Floor Renovation project
Nancy Brex, President
Follow Friends of Barrington Public Library on Facebook.
Love your library? Consider becoming a Friend. Your membership helps to enrich the entire community.
Annual Membership is $10 for an Individual or $15 for a Family.
Join the Friends and mail or drop off the membership form at the library (attached below).
Everyday Book Sale
Located on the main floor of the library near the Reference Desk.
Some collectible books and other items for sale are listed below:
Four Beautiful Art Books of gift-giving quality:
1. ITZCHAK TARKAY: WORKS ON PAPER. This edition includes three original watercolor lithographs bound into the book and a lithographed dust-cover, all printed on Arches paper. $90.
2. TARKAY: PROFILE OF AN ARTIST. Chedworth Publishing, c.1997, First printing. $45.
3. THOMAS PRADZYNSKI: MODERN REALIST. Catalogue Raisonne. Caldwell-Snyder Publishing, c.1993, Limited Collector's Edition II, Le Bistrot, No. 141 of 200. In black slipcase. Signed. $95.
4. THOMAS MCKNIGHT: WINDOWS ON PARADISE, published by Abbeville Press, c. 1990. Specially Bound Signed Limited Edition accompanied by the original serigraph suite, THE FOUR CORNERS. Beautiful, bright color illustrations throughout. Copy number: 866/1260. Excellent condition in a red cloth-covered slipcase. $40.
A WALK IN THE WOODS by Bill Bryson, published by Broadway Books, c. 1998, hardcover. A scarce SIGNED first edition, in excellent condition. $30.
For those who collect signed first editions/first printings, we offer Theodore C. Sorensen's WHY I AM A DEMOCRAT, c. 1996. In pristine condition. $25.
PRINCE VALIANT IN THE DAYS OF KING ARTHUR (c. 1951) and PRINCE VALIANT FIGHTS ATTILA THE HUN (c. 1952) by Harold Foster, published by Hastings House. They are a boxed set: Special Souvenir Edition in honor of Harold R. Foster, creator of "Prince Valiant" and winner of the Banshees Award in the Waldorf-Astoria Ballroom, November 6, 1952. Books are heavily illustrated. The slipcase and dust jackets show wear; books are in very good condition. $40.00.
If interested, contact the Reference Desk at 401.247.1920 x2 and ask for Joyce.
Mini Book Sale Spring 2018
Date to be determined.
The Friends of the Library welcome your donations.
Some of the items received are given to the library for the collection and others become part of our book sales.
Donations can be received during regular library hours at the Reference Desk and larger donations can be left in the vestibule of the rear of the library, inside the loading dock door.